Why Blog


I’m passionate about finding ways to simplify comprehension instruction and learning. I’m concerned that we are defining comprehension too narrowly as an accumulation of five or six meta-cognitive strategies when cultivating comprehension involves so much more than that. We need to help children acquire accurate fluent reading skills and strategies; build background knowledge; develop their oral language and vocabulary; make reading-writing connections, and acquire a repertoire of meta-cognitive strategies to use as and if needed.


So I invite you to join me in blogging about this ever-so-important topic. I look forward to hearing your ideas, teaching strategies, book recommendations, classroom stories, etc., basically anything that will inspire a healthy conversation among colleagues.

Friday, January 28, 2011

A Call for Interaction

Remember the January 26th post about the importance of interaction? About how essential it is for children to interact with texts and one another to fully comprehend what they read? Well the same need for interaction applies to a blog moderator (that’s me) and fellow bloggers (that’s you). I need to hear from you—what you’re thinking, what you’re reading, what practices you’re trying so I can respond in ways that push our thinking about comprehension teaching and learning. While I have indeed received several much appreciated comments, especially to the “short and sweet chapter books” post, I encourage all of you to send your thoughts and ideas along. Your voice is so important and much needed. Thanks...

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Sharon,

    Thank you for letting me know about "following" difficulties on my blog. I reset and enable the following button (on the top, left side of the opening page now).

    Hope you are well :) I think of you so often!

    Warmest regards,
    Laura Benson

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks so much for the information...i couldn't for the life of me figure it out. i'll sign up now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At this midpoint of the school year, with my first graders just really starting to read books that are beginning to have a bit more depth, I am working on building my reading community. We are attempting to share books and talk about our favorites. We are starting to learn about our preferences and the book preferences of others. They are taking ownership of the classroom library now. We are also just beginning to blog. Reading blogs written by other students is also helping to develop our connections with each other.

    As a staff we are reading the book "Hidden Gems" by Katherine Bomer and discussing it book club style.

    I am enjoying your blog and look to it for ideas. I also enjoyed "On Solid Ground" and have your new book on my list of books to read in the future.

    Thanks for sharing your thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you've got a lot going on. what lucky children! imagine being six or seven and learning to communicate through blogging! what a different and exciting world they're growing up in. and how important for children to build a community through books they're reading. that's what the writing workshop of old used to do. keep them reading and talking about books. that's the greatest gift you can give them.

    ReplyDelete