Why Blog


I’m passionate about finding ways to simplify comprehension instruction and learning. I’m concerned that we are defining comprehension too narrowly as an accumulation of five or six meta-cognitive strategies when cultivating comprehension involves so much more than that. We need to help children acquire accurate fluent reading skills and strategies; build background knowledge; develop their oral language and vocabulary; make reading-writing connections, and acquire a repertoire of meta-cognitive strategies to use as and if needed.


So I invite you to join me in blogging about this ever-so-important topic. I look forward to hearing your ideas, teaching strategies, book recommendations, classroom stories, etc., basically anything that will inspire a healthy conversation among colleagues.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Ask Sharon...an Advice Column for Teachers (can you see me smiling?)

I have an idea. How about I ask you to post teaching questions throughout the week, and then I select one or two to answer every Monday or Tuesday? Sort of like an “Ann Landers” or “Dear Abby” column, only about teaching! (Just so you know, I’m “playing ” with this advice column format—just trying to have a little fun—and don’t at all take myself seriously. That said, you can count on me to take your questions VERY seriously and provide the best answer I can.) Are you with me?

So start posting your questions…anything at all related to teaching and learning, and I’ll post a reply on Monday or Tuesday. Can’t wait to hear from you.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Sharon,

    When you think or hear the word kindergarten what comes to your mind? What's the top 3 things in literacy that come to your mind? Play, literacy, reading levels, integration. I think it's a tough time to teach primary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    I’m wondering if you have some suggestions for mentor texts and/or instructional strategies for a non-fiction reading and writing study. I’ve started a little frontloading by increasing my read aloud of informational texts and asking students to share when they find something that interests them in non-fiction text during independent reading.

    In your experience, might a non-fiction study work best with an over-arching topic?

    Also, our writing curriculum requires that our first graders write a “how-to”. Do you have any suggestions for mentor texts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. More must have g. reading sets/ companion texts that are fabulous-especially for 2nd graders

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking for some really good books to teach visualization with me second grade kiddos. Do you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. look for my reply to your question on the february 28th blog. thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete