Why Blog


I’m passionate about finding ways to simplify comprehension instruction and learning. I’m concerned that we are defining comprehension too narrowly as an accumulation of five or six meta-cognitive strategies when cultivating comprehension involves so much more than that. We need to help children acquire accurate fluent reading skills and strategies; build background knowledge; develop their oral language and vocabulary; make reading-writing connections, and acquire a repertoire of meta-cognitive strategies to use as and if needed.


So I invite you to join me in blogging about this ever-so-important topic. I look forward to hearing your ideas, teaching strategies, book recommendations, classroom stories, etc., basically anything that will inspire a healthy conversation among colleagues.

Monday, April 18, 2011

I'm Back...

Hi Everyone. Ted and I just returned from a long anticipated trip to Sicily and Barcelona. It was amazing and I hope that you all get the chance to experience both places someday soon—that is if you haven't already done so. (I'm leaving it up to you to infer my inclusion of this "grapes" clipart!)

Anyway...I fully intended to post to this blog while we were away but didn't anticipate the difficulty I experienced getting internet access and the cost of doing so. That's why you haven't heard from me for a while.

It will take a couple more days to sort things out...but hold tight. I'm looking forward to continuing our conversation.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a lovely trip and a chance to recharge! Sitting tight for future posts!

    ReplyDelete